Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Welcome Readers!

I wanted to start off by stating the purpose for this blog. It is intended for my art, writing, and photography mostly, but occasionally I may post a few random thoughts and discussions here and there depending on how well this all goes.

My first interest in art took place in fourth grade. I distinctly remember thinking during my prior art classes "I'm awful at this; I have no artistic talent." Then when I was complimented by my teacher on a piece of artwork I did (it was a construction paper hat, but on the top it had pebbles, little fake trees, etc. glued on to imitate a pond scene). Ever since then, I have worked hard to develop my skill.

Photography was introduced much later to me when I was a senior in high school. It was all digital, and it wasn't the first time I had ever picked up a camera, but it was still new to  me. I learned what to look for, how to angle it, and how to edit the pictures later. And I learned the most important rule: ALWAYS take more than one photo of something, even if you think your first shot was perfect.

Writing, however, was something I knew I loved from the beginning. My earliest memory is first grade; I had typed out a three page fiction comedy about my classmates and read it to them in class. As I remember, they all loved it. Problem was, unfortunately, I typed it out on my aunt's old typewriter (remember those?). We didn't have any white out in the machine, so when I made a mistake, I just went back and typed over the previous letters. So, in other words, at the time I was the only one able to actually read it. Now that I think of it, I'm not quite sure why I didn't just write it out. I suppose I just wanted to be fancy like the adult writers. Anyways, the only copy of that was lost and I can't even remember what it was really about. In eighth grade, I joined my school's first Power of the Pen team. I won Best of Round in the district. A few of us were selected to move on to the next level where I won Best of the Best and our team place third. I was the only one to move on to the last level, and I didn't win anything that time. However, it was a truely great experience and my winning story was published in their annual book. Since then, I've been pursueing my writing and I'm working on two different books which will hopefully be finished and published (fingers crossed).

Geez, all that talk makes it seem like I'm full of myself! My point of all this is that art, photography, and writing are my passions. I may be better than others while at the same time there are a lot of others better than I. There is always room for improvement --one of the guidelines I live by. Thus, this blog is not only meant to introduce my art and writing to more than just my friends, family, and classmates, but it is to also receive feedback. So when I post things I've drawn, painted, photographed, or written PLEASE feel free to comment. Some guidelines for comments would be: What do you think of it? Is it missing something? How can it get better? What do you like about it? And so on. Feel free to post whatever you want; there should be no obligation to protect me from the truth, so if you hate something, say it! No personal offense will be taken, and if you're scared I won't keep my word on that, then you can always comment anonymously.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and I will be posting ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment